Beating the Averages

" If a painter were offered a brush that would make him a better painter, it seems to me that he would want to use it in all his paintings, wouldn't he? " (Graham,2001 ) He certainly would, starting the course I did not see where or how I could use Lisp-based programming language, now with this concrete example, I can see how powerful Clojure is. That cite of Graham was very inspiring for me, everyone in their corresponding field wants to be the best. For someone like me, who is studying his major in Computer Science, I will always want to code in the most powerful language it's out there, like everyone else. For some people to code in Lisp, it's quite a challenge, and just because it looks awful, and yes indeed, it looks awful. But that is an advantage that Graham took, for that time nobody was using Lisp to code apps for the commerce, Graham took the advantage of the rapid changes to use into his website and the low competition they had. 

Graham also states that writing in Lisp will improve your skills in programming, that maybe you won't use it in your life, but it certainly will make you better, like the brush in the example of the painter. If it will be helpful for your skills, why don't learn it? We could see that the Graham not only improve his skills but also develop one of the tools today we still use, after almost 40 years. 

This article opened my eyes to how important Lisp is, but not also with Lisp, it applies in all aspects of life when there is an opportunity of improving you should take it, you should always take it. Maybe one day I will code some software in Lisp and make the difference, learning new programming languages is difficult, but it expands your knowledge. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Semicolon Wars

Introducing myself